Wednesday, February 6, 2013

Wednesday, 2/6/13

We just found out that our building will be closing earlier than we're all used to starting today, so I'll have to start reducing my blog entries or lengths. I'm heartbroken about this because I use every second I have to get work done after school, and now I'm not sure how I'm going to squeeze it all in. I hate to take even more home than I already do, but I guess I'm left with no other choice.

Today was a great day! I know I prattle on about this a lot, but I just marvel at how far the kids have come since the beginning of the year. I love seeing how independently they're thinking, how creative their minds are becoming and the level to which their problem-solving is developing. They don't come to me nearly as often with problems that they themselves can solve, and if they do, more often than not, by the time they're done telling me the problem, they've worked out a solution for themselves. It's just so cool! I hope you're seeing it at home as well.

Today in health we were discussing the human heart. In their health magazine, there is a section regarding the harmful affects of smoking, so that became quite the discussion. I'm always so proud of how disgusted second-graders are by smoking, and I always pray that something that is said in those discussions will stick and help them to avoid the temptation of starting that habit as they get older. I have a Facebook account to keep in touch with my former students, so I know that not all of them are able to avoid starting, but I will never stop trying to gross them out/convince them enough to never start. This year I went with a new and additional angle I'd never tried before----the financial one. I kept bringing up the money that people who smoke are spending and wouldn't they rather have it for a new game or someday a car... I'll try anything to keep them healthy!!! =)

Sorry to end abruptly, but here is where I'll cut it off so I can go and get my work done before I get kicked out. Have a good night!

No comments:

Post a Comment