Tuesday, February 12, 2013

Tuesday, 2/12/13

Happy Fat Tuesday!! Because I have the world's greatest boss, our day started off with paczkis. Normally I would never indulge in something like that, but for some reason, it feels okay on Fat Tuesday. Maybe because I'm a sucker for tradition, and it's become tradition to have them here on this day.

So last night I made a jello mold for the teacher luncheon that is tomorrow. I had asked Santa for a bundt cake pan and he listened, so I had to give it a shot. I looked at it (still in the mold) in the refrigerator this morning and it looked good, but I'm going to be soooo nervous tomorrow when I put it on the plate. I sure I hope it comes out!! It seems like a girl's first jello mold is some sort of a right-of-passage, don't you think? So, if I screwed it up..... well, let's not go there! Optimism is the key here!!

I'm feeling like the world's worst teacher. I just looked at the calendar and realized that Abraham Lincoln's birthday came and went and I didn't do anything to acknowledge it. Ugh! I have some great books and super activities and I didn't do any of them. I'm so ashamed! I guess, keeping my theme of optimism, that I will lump him into President's Day lessons. Poor Abe! He's a Springfield guy and everything~how could I?? February is hard--there's a lot going on and next to no time to teach it all.

Lately I've been noticing what great little writers are sprouting in my classroom. I started off the school day receiving several poems written by some of my young ladies, and some of my mini gentlemen have taken to creating comics. Dare I dream that my love of words is rubbing off? One way or the other, I just love seeing them discover that creative words are the best way to express themselves, and that expressing oneself is a vital skill in life.

On that note---I'm off to express myself to some Rose Queen Scholarship hopefuls. The Village of Roselle holds the Rose Queen Scholarship Pageant each year and this year Mrs. Reuter, her daughter and I have taken over the running of the event. Tonight we will meet the girls who are involved for the first time. Exciting times!!! =)

No comments:

Post a Comment