Thursday, February 21, 2013

Thursday, 2/21/13

Of course today all anyone can talk about is the impending winter storm, so it caused a great idea to sproing into my brain (pardon my Clementine reference---I just really get her!!) while the kids were at library. When they came back in the room, I pulled up weather.com for our area. There was a great short video clip of the storm: its intensity, its path and the area over which it will cover. I showed the kids how to read a weather map using the key, etc. With that they slowly came to the thought that a snow day could be a part of our future. Now, you and I both know that the chances of that are very slim, but it's fun to think about. I encouraged the kids to think about what their day would be like if there were to be a snow day---would they stay in their pajamas all day? Play video games all day? (NO!!!) Cuddle up by a fire and read a good book? (YES!!) Miss their teacher terribly? (OF COURSE!!) And then came the T.W.I.S.T.

What, I asked them, did they think that their teacher would be doing if there were to be a snow day??? And from there a writing assignment was born (my original thought was to have them write about what they'd be doing if there were a snow day, but midway though our conversation I thought of how much more fun it would be to change it to what they thought I would be doing). I'm absolutely dying to see what they've written.

I tossed in the idea that this was a writing contest in hopes of elevating their consciousness of word choice, content and language-skill usage. I am taking them home with me (in case there's a snow day ;) ). I'll report back on how they did!! Fun fun!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment