Wednesday, October 31, 2012

All Hallow's Eve

Happy Halloween!! What a fun day we've had. Of course Penelope the Praying Mantis had to greet the children (on the Smartboard) with Halloween greetings when they arrived this morning.  Then I surprised them by completely abandoning our regular morning routine for something called Pumpkin Math and Science. As a class we predicted, graphed and learned all about our classroom pumpkin. We discovered how much it weighed (14 pounds), if it would sink or float when put in a bucket of water (do you know what would happen???), how many seeds it had in it (338), what would happen when we put a lit candle inside and put the lid back on top (hmmm...any thoughts??), and then finally our pumpkin met its ultimate fate by being carved into a jack-o-lantern with the winning facial features as graphed by the kids (triangle eyes and nose and scary mouth---well, as scary as my meager artwork allows for). It was very, very fun and encompassed the entire morning and a smidge of the afternoon.

Then the big moment----the parade and party. Each year as I lead the kids through the crowds of folks who come to the parade, I choose to see it as my annual visit from the paparazzi. I figure it's the closest I'll ever get, so why not enjoy?? LOL! While we were out being greeted by our adoring fans, the lovely room moms were preparing for a rip-roaring party. It was great. The kids were so well behaved. I was very proud of them. We all owe a GIGANTIC thank-you to the moms who planned and executed the party as well as all of the parents who sent in donations to make it a great success!! Mrs. B., Mrs. C., Mrs. D., and Mrs. S.---thank you for braving our second-grade classroom on the afternoon of Halloween and giving the kids such a fun afternoon!!

That's it from here. I'm going to finish taking down all of my classroom Halloween decorations and head out for the night. I hope you all heard about our fun day! Have a spook-tac-ular night!

No comments:

Post a Comment