Wednesday, October 24, 2012

Wednesday, 10/24/12

So here it is---what I've been dying to tell you about---we are now all BUCKET FILLERS!!  (Hooray!! wait! what?????? Bucket fillers????)

There is a great series of books that are being used in schools and within families which encourage people to fill each other's buckets.  I read the first in the series to the entire school at our Character Counts assembly this afternoon. It introduces the concept and is aimed for children from the ages of birth through seven.

“Bucket filling” is simply making others feel good through kind words and non-verbal actions. Encouraging children to be a ‘bucket filler’ or reinforcing their 'bucket-filling' behaviors will help develop their awareness of the importance of building others up, while also teaching them the intrinsic reward they themselves receive while filling another’s “bucket.” There is also a piece which points out and discourages ‘bucket dippers/ bucket dipping,’ (pretty much anything that is the opposite of bucket filling) as well as an aspect of using your bucket’s “lid,” in essence, allowing you to protect yourself from harmful words by “closing your bucket,” therefore creating a resilience to it being “dipped into.” It's a pretty great concept for children of any age, and particularly those here at Benson. I'm not exactly sure where I'm going to take this with my class. I'm going to look to them for some guidance; so often I get the best ideas through conversations with the kids. I'll keep you posted on what we come up with. I sure hope you hear about it at home tonight!!!

Great news regarding homework!! The reading assignment has been cancelled. Whoop Whoop!! The weather is too amazing for reading indoors so the assignment is now to go outside and soak in what is probably one of the last gorgeous days of the year.

That's all for now. I'm going to go out and complete that same assignment myself this afternoon.

=)

No comments:

Post a Comment