Monday, October 15, 2012

Monday, 10/15/12

It's Monday again. I will never understand how Mondays reoccur so frequently, yet Fridays always feel years away. Well, this week may be different for a couple of reasons. First being that the kids don't have school on Friday due to a teacher institute day. Short weeks when we have Monday off always feel incredibly long, but when there's a Friday off, they tend to fly by. Secondly, we have a BIG event happening at school this week for second-graders. I don't want to mention what it is yet. I want the kids to be able to share it with you first-hand, but I'll be sure to let you in on it tomorrow.

In math we're getting into place value. I find myself constantly reminding the kids that we've reached the point in math where it's not just a matter of finding numbers and then deciding if we add or subtract; we're now to the point where THINKING needs to be involved. Any reinforcement you could give in this area would be appreciated. As you look through your child's math papers when they come home, more often than not, I'll bet you'll discover any errors made were due to lack of slowed-down, processed thinking, rather than lack of ability. Please review these papers at home and share how beneficial and necessary it is to go slowly and think about math---especially as one gets older and smarter.  A simple habit of asking yourself, "Does my answer make sense?" would be great to instill.

Can I just tell you how my day ended? It ended with a random act of kindness. Someone very kind and generous made.....get ready for this......homemade Nutella!! Are you kidding me?? And she decided to send some into school for me because she "just wanted to do something nice" for me. I could just cry--that's the sweetest thing ever. I will be 100% certain to pay this kindness forward. If the kind woman is reading this---please know that your gesture meant loads more to me than chocolaty goodness (although, the chocolaty goodness is also pretty fantastic!!!). Those seemingly "small" acts of kindness truly do stay with you forever, don't they? You never know how you can so easily turn someone's day around. It's very powerful, if you think about it. It's very nice to think about....

Enjoy the evening!

No comments:

Post a Comment