Friday, November 2, 2012

Friday, 11/2/12

How excited are you about the fact that we GAIN an hour this weekend? I'm soooo happy! I need an extra hour. I'm going to be taking down my Halloween decorations and getting ready for next week's parent/teacher/student conferences. Plus I have some serious DVR time to catch up on. This week completely got away from me. I need to have some brain-recovery, and how better to do that then vegging out for a little while? ;)

I must admit, I'm getting pretty excited for next week's election. I'm mostly looking forward to the commercials being a thing of the past, not to mention people's posts on Facebook, but mainly I just think it's such an honor that we have living in this country and exercising the RIGHT to vote. It's a RIGHT for Americans. Amazing!! I just recently saw an email about the heart-breaking circumstances that the suffragettes went through. Some were jailed, beaten, starved, and on and on. Horrible. So beyond looking forward to voting because it's my duty as an American, I look forward to saying a silent prayer of thanks to those women who made it possible for me to drive down the street, walk into my polling place without getting any flack from anyone and cast my ballot. This is an amazing country, and its stories can be as heartbreaking as they are empowering.

Today I read two books to the kids---one called Grace for President, the other--- Duck for President, and I have one more for them on Monday. If I can squeek out the time, I want to have them create campaign posters for their chosen candidate (from the books) and then cast a ballot on Tuesday. I got this idea off of Pinterest (the GREATEST website ever!!), and I just hope I can use it to make the election as meaningful as possible for second-graders. I can still remember when I was in fifth grade and we "voted" for the president. It was an impactful experience.

Anyhow--that's it from here. Don't forget--if your parent/teacher conference is scheduled with me for next Thursday, BRING YOUR SECOND-GRADER WITH YOU please. I really would like for him/her to be there.

And more important of all----GOOOOOO BEAAARRRRRSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment