Wednesday, September 19, 2012

Wednesday, 9/19/12

The next time I say "tomorrow is one of my favorite days..." PLEASE someone remind me to not jinx myself. It wasn't a bad day by any stretch, but my goodness, the energy level of the class was on the ceiling from the moment they crossed the threshold into the building. I didn't know picture day was that exciting for kids, I thought it was just for me. I was proved otherwise, that's for sure.

So, as the old saying goes-----I couldn't beat them, so I joined them. Well, not exactly, but I rode the wave. Rather than do the usual Wednesday to-do list, I bumped up some activities that I was saving for Friday. I read the kids a book about dinosaur fossils, paleontologists and museums' roles in fossil collection/display. When that was done, the big chocolate chip activity was revealed. I told the kids I was going to give them some (air quotes) earth and (air quotes) fossils along with a digging utensil. Then I passed out the chocolate chip cookies and toothpicks, and my little paleontologists started their excavation. It was pretty cool to listen in on their conversations. That is, once they got past repeatedly asking if they got to eat the cookie. My response?  "Ooh, eating earth? That sounds kind of gross to me!"  So, like I said, once the novelty of the cookie was done, the kids commented a great deal on the challenge of getting the "fossils" out in their whole form. Some of them have real futures in that business. They worked quickly and very accurately. It was really fun to watch. I'm glad that I made the switch to that activity rather than expect them to work quietly all day. They just weren't in that head space today, which is fine. Tomorrow is a new day, so we'll get all caught up. Oh, and of course, they all got a fresh new not-earthy-at-all cookie to much on when the project was done. ;)

That's it for now. Mitchell out!

No comments:

Post a Comment