Monday, September 10, 2012

Monday, 9/10/12

Happy Monday!! Today started off like a completely regular day---which made me stop dead in my tracks. Today was the first day of only the 4th "regular" week of school (I'm not counting the first week--nothing regular about that!!), and the kids came in quietly with their take-home folders and snacks, sat down and got right down to business on their morning work. This may not sound like a big deal, but trust me when I tell you that it is! No one was asking me what they were supposed to be doing! No one was sitting at their desk doing nothing! No one was giving me notes, paperwork, etc. They were all just working, like it was perfectly natural. This my friends, is what I would term DREAMY! Now, if I could just get the Smartboard to be as cooperative as the kids, I'd be the happiest girl in all the land! ;)

Do you remember learning "Change the y to an i and add ed" when you were a kid? That's what we started today. It's one of those lessons that flashes me back to when I was in school. I don't have many memories of second grade (except that my teacher always asked us if what we were doing was 'appropriate.' I remember VOWING to myself that when I grew up and became a teacher that I WOULD NOT UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES use that word with my students....flash-forward, I totally use it with the kids. I just try to not overuse it like my teacher did so no one in my class repeats the vow that I'd made.). I do, however remember having to memorize this stinking 'change the y' shenanigans. You don't really realize how many quirky little rules our language has until you try to teach it.

That's it for today----but hey, did anyone out there see that Bears game yesterday?? I was out of town and got home in time to see the 4th quarter. My dad told me that the game didn't start off too well, but by the time I tuned in there was some serious scoring happening. I don't want to jinx anything, but I feel like February could still be football season for Chicago (wink, wink, if you know what I'm saying---without saying it... haha!). 

Have a nice night! The Voice is starting tonight---and as I'm sure you've heard,  I've got mad singing skills (or I teach second grade because the kids are so sweet and actually think I can carry a tune), so I'll be checking that out!

No comments:

Post a Comment