Tuesday, September 10, 2013

Tuesday, 9/10/13

Is anyone else finding it hard to not think about the fact that tomorrow is September 11th? I remember when I went to write the date of our Nature Center field trip onto my calendar, I had to stop for a second as the thought crossed my mind that maybe we should reschedule. I don't know why, but the thought of going on a fun field trip on that day seemed a bit wrong to me. Then I thought back to 2001. I remember that my class went on our Nature Center trip on the Friday after it happened, and one of the greatest things occurred while we were there---the Nature Center teacher had to point up, which you probably know when at the Nature Center, that is the sign for "I can't talk right now, there's a plane flying over, so I'll continue after it's passed." I clearly remember us getting so excited after the instructor instinctively pointed up from hearing a plane. It was the first time we'd heard a plane in several days, and that was symbolic that something was slightly, albeit, very slightly going back to "normal." I've never, ever felt that those planes and their noise were a nuisance ever since that day, and with that memory in my head, I dismissed my initial hesitation to reschedule our trip. Tomorrow I will swallow the lump in my throat and feel joy as I hear and watch planes passing over our heads.

On an academic note--the kids took their first math test yesterday. Our math tests have a bit of a different format to them, so I was careful to give instructions for each item before letting the kids start. I graded them last night and was soo pleased with how well they did. Of course, it is always a wise move to review a test when it comes home with your child, especially if he/she missed any items. You want to be sure that the concepts are firmly cemented into their big brains. The beginning of the year the concepts are not incredibly complex, but they build upon each other, and before you know it, things get tough, so as with anything else, a firm foundation sets everyone up for future ease and success.

One more Nature Center reminder----we venture out tomorrow afternoon, pending weather conditions (this morning I heard Paul Konrad mention that we might have storms....). I haven't heard how the bug situation is this season, but it's always better to be safe than sorry and apply repellent at home under your child's clothing. Please do not send repellent to school, we are not allowed to apply it here. Please have your child wear comfy shoes. I myself, would much rather be in flip flops, but alas, they are not the wise choice on a day which we are walking to our destination, then trucking through dirt and twigs and grasses while field tripping, so tennis shoes it will be.

Have a wonderful evening!

No comments:

Post a Comment