Tuesday, January 15, 2013

Tuesday, 1/15/13

We came, we saw, we conquered the planetarium. Oh my gosh! What a perfect day to go into the city. The air was cold, but the sky was clear so the lake and skyline were GORGEOUS (seriously, do we live in the greatest city, or what??). In one area of the planetarium where we were explorning there is an entire wall of windows overlooking the lake. It was hard to not just stare out at Navy Pier, the lighthouse and a gigantic ship that was out a-ways in the water.

Our adventure started with time to explore. They have it set up so perfectly. There are tons of little areas all teaching about different facets of space. Many of them are interactive, so the kids were fully engaged. A bit later we all filed into the domed movie theater. That was my favorite part. There was a movie that taught about the earth, moon and stars and made you feel like you were lying down somewhere in the country looking up to the heavens. Once the movie ended we had a bit more time to explore some more of the attractions. There were areas for the kids to try on astronaut gear, strap themselves in as though they were on a space mission and even drive a space vehicle (there was much, much more but those were some of the highlights). The kids had such a blast. Before we knew it, it was lunchtime. We were able to sit and refuel which I know the chaperons and I appreciated even more than the kids. We each only had 3 or 4 kids to look after, but that is never as easy as it sounds. We wrapped up the day with some last exploration on a different floor, headed outside for some pictures and then it was time to re-board the bus.

I had promised the kids that anyone who was quiet and rested their eyes on the bus ride home would not have any homework tonight. I was a bit worried at first, there was a lot of chatter when we first left, but after a bit of time those wheels on the bus did their thing and lulled my little angels to peace and quiet. No homework for anyone tonight!!! Woo Hoo!!

It was a great day, and there's no way it would have been without our patient and amazing chaperons! Mr. C,  Mrs. D, Mrs. N, Mrs. S, Mrs. W----THANK YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I hope you had a great time too!

I foolishly thought I'd make it to my workout tonight, but unless I get a second-wind...I think my workout has already commenced and concluded for the day.

I hope you hear great things about our trip!!

No comments:

Post a Comment