Monday, February 24, 2014

Monday, 2/24/14

Last week I told the kids that I was going to have a treatment done to my hair that probably result in it being straight come Monday. I've never, ever come to school with straight hair (in fact, it's only been straightened 3ish times ever--I don't have the patience, so it's only happened if the gal doing my hair decided it would be fun to straighten it). Low-and-behold, I came to school today with straight hair. I was a bit nervous, but the kids were so cute about it. It is quite shocking. If you don't know or don't remember, I have long, curly, extra-large (80's style) hair. This morning the kids kept asking, "Are you Ms. Mitchell?" I told them that I'm her evil twin---the straight-haired teacher. Of course, I couldn't hardly keep that facade up for very long. I was only able to manage it during writing time, at the end of which, one of the boys told another to use his magical words and bring the nice Ms. Mitchell back. LOL! Classic!  By the end of the day I kept feeling kids touching the back of my hair. It is so very different, I have to admit, I've felt it many times too. It'll be back to curly tomorrow, but it was fun while it lasted. =)

Today we celebrated George Washington's birthday (which was Saturday) buy doing a super-cool activity that I have that's called "Picture History with Me."  I read from a script that teaches about old Georgie, and then each part of the script gives a direction to draw on the paper that goes back to what I've just read. For example, I read to them about his crossing the Delaware River, and they are instructed to draw a "river" on their paper. I'm also demonstrating what the river should look like on the Smartboard, so it's not some random river, and by the time the story is over, viola!, we have ourselves a George Washington picture. It's really very clever and cute, especially to listen as the kids start to piece together what we're doing and what the picture is becoming. I feel like February is so rushed, trying to fit in and teach about all of these American Heroes that I love talking about -- I wish that I could slow down time during February (but speed up the passing of the winter weather). I also read to the kids today about Jackie Robinson. I grabbed the wrong book--so I'll be reading them my favorite tomorrow. It's called Teammates and it's about Jackie and his teammate Pee Wee Reese. They have a cool story together and it not only demonstrates a bond between teammates, but also the strength of character that both of these men had during extremely difficult times, which is a timeless lesson to teach to the kids.

Anyhow, on that note--I've got to get going so I can get home and wash my hair so that the Ms. Mitchell can return to her class tomorrow. LOL!! It's been a fun day causing even my closest of friends to do a double-take when seeing me, but it's time to go back to the big hair girl that I am!! (I'll always be an 80's girl!)



No comments:

Post a Comment