Friday, February 7, 2014

Friday, 2/7/14 The 100th Day of School

I don't know if I've ever shared with you my love of numbers. Now, don't get my wrong, I'm no "Beautiful Mind" or anything like that--far from it, but I love when I write things like 2/7/14 and it immediately pops out to me that 2x7=14. Nerdy? Very. Unimportant? Probably. One of the goofy things that makes me, me? Most certainly. So there you go, your little wacky Ms. Mitchell fact-o-the-day.

Speaking of fun numbers........Happy 100th Day of School! Had there not been all of the snow days, we would have celebrated on Monday. I like a good Friday celebration way better than a Monday one though, so it all worked out for the best. It'll be pretty business as usual around here, but I do have some fun things up my sleeve. Speaking of which, I'm decided I'd get my writing started early since it's going to be a bit of a crazy day, but I'd better hit the 'save' button and get to thinking about the day before that dreaded bell rings. Until later friends....

Here's what the kids came in to find hanging on our classroom door this morning. It made me so happy to hear how excited they were. Such a simple little thing, and yet it created such joy-----this is why I adore this class. Not only that, but once the kids were in the room, they were thanking me for making it for them!! There is nothing in the world more powerful (in my humble opinion) than the words "Thank You," and if they're in written form, forget it~ I usually get choked up. Oh, but I digress. Back to the banner-in the midst of all of the kids' excitement, the subject of how I made it came up. Those are my favorite conversations because I rarely speak: I want the kids to do some critical thinking, and without fail, they always figure things out. Listening to the process of how they get to the correct answer is never less-than entertaining and impressive. Today's conversation began with, "How did you write on it after you'd cut it?"  And from there, the thinking and problem solving began. Magical!!
It's hard to read---I should have made the cuts bigger, but it says "Happy 100th Day of  2nd grade!"

No comments:

Post a Comment