Friday, April 5, 2013

Friday, 4/5/13

It's report card day!!! Unbelievable that we're this far into the year!! I'm going to prop my eyes open with toothpicks because if I don't, I'll blink and it will be the last day of school. I could use about a zillion words to describe this class's journey from August until now, but the one I feel most honestly is 'family.' There have been many changes in the kids and their relationships with each other; we've been through good and bad together, and just like in life--those are the circumstances which bond people together. It's no different in my classroom. We are bonded and it's hard to think that there will come in day in the not-too-distant future that we won't be spending every day together. Too sad......moving on.......

Be sure to ask your child about the assembly we had today in honor of Arts in Schools. It was the Hubbard Street Dancers. Oh my gosh, they were so amazing! We had something around 300 three-through-eight-year olds in our gym, and yet you could have heard a pin drop! Such talent and beauty! And such a wake-up call that our children truly need that exposure to the arts to open their worlds, their minds and to inspire and awake their senses!! It amazes me the number of studies which show how greatly the arts impact children's brains, and yet it is the first thing to lose priority in our culture. Such a shame! Thank goodness for our teachers of the arts (Mrs. Kozakis and Mr. Whitney) and the IEPTO that our students were able to have such a wonderful exposure to music, dance and art. I hope that it inspires families to find cultural experiences for their children. There are many right here in the suburbs.

And then just when this day couldn't get any more exciting----we had an author visit. Joe Jurek, who wrote They Don't Make Books About Uncles came and spoke to the kids about the creation of his book. And, just because he's an incredibly dedicated author----he arrived to Benson with four minutes to spare before his presentation because he'd been downtown at the hospital where his niece had just been born a few hours earlier!!! How about them apples?? Pretty impressive!!

I keep thinking, "Phew, it's finally the weekend. My house needs a deep clean after having had house guests for a week, I'm so glad I have tomorrow wide open." Then I think---hang on, no I don't because I'm going to the MAROON 5 concert!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  Hello Adam Levine....how you doin'???? I'm so excited! I was never a huge Maroon 5 fan until a few years back when I went to one of their concerts just on a whim, at which time I became under Adam's spell and have been a fan ever since. It sure doesn't hurt that he's the face of The Voice now too. Hubba Hubba  ;)  Don't worry, if he meets me and falls deeply in love, I'll finish out the school year before I join the concert tour with him. LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Enjoy the weekend!!!!!!!!!!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment