Friday, April 19, 2013

Friday, 4/19/13

Holy moly what a raukus week this has been in the world. I write this not knowing how things have gone down today in Boston, but feeling a sense of awe that the organizations which are designed to keep us safe have such brilliance that they had narrowed the location of one suspect to a single house before I'd left for school this morning. Amazing! My heart breaks for those in West, TX. I heard on the news this morning that today is exactly 20 years ago that everything went down in Waco, TX, which is right by West aparently. And then there was our craziness yesterday. I hope that you all escaped the water and enjoyed a day off. I woke up at 3:30 to my sump pump's alarm going off. Never good in the middle of the night!!! That being said, I came out of the day far luckier than most. I had some seepage in several spots in what I call, "my someday basement" (because it's always in the middle of being finished---which it will be...someday). I mopped up for an hour--just when I'd get one spot done, another had puddled up. Once I got it under control, I was able to go lie down for about an hour. Then I went down and mopped again and then read on Facebook about some friends' schools which had closed. Jealous! I got ready for school, went down to do one more mop up, and mid-way through my thoughts of planning to run home at lunch then again right after school (at which time I'd run back to school to get work done) and then run back home for another mopping before Celebration of Learning began,  glory of all glories-----the phone call came: No School!!!!!!!!!!! My stomach could stop churning with nerves and the thought of possibly catching some sleep during the day came with a wave of relief!!

Today was a whirlwind with the kids: math test, pen pal letters, Flat Stanley check-ins and that was just the morning! In the afternoon the kids took their DOL quiz ("But how Ms. Mitchell??? How can we do our DOL quiz when we didn't get to do #4 yesterday??" Somehow they survived-----builds character, right???), journal reading, author visit and computers.

And I will leave you today on one final note:

I only left the house once yesterday for about 15 minutes. This is what I saw when I opened my garage:
I don't know if you can tell---but it is, without any doubt, the largest earthworm I've ever seen in my entire life!! I tried to find something to put next to it to give perspective of its size, so that's a roll of twine with a little piece sticking out next to it. This picture doesn't even do it justice--I jumped when I saw it. Oh, and, AND----it had a friend! I swear to you, I think they came up from middle earth!! Worms do not bother me---I'll often grab one that's lost its way and toss it back to the soil, but not these suckers. I used a push broom to send them back to the yard. Ugh---I shutter to think of it! Blech!

On that note: Happy Weekend!!! =)

No comments:

Post a Comment