Tuesday, December 4, 2012

Tuesday, 12/4/12

Get this! I just had a huge and wildly charming (that description may be a smidge overblown, the memory always embellishes things, right?) blog written and I hit some button and it all disappeared. My eyes got big as doughnuts and my crackly voice eeked out NNNNOOOOOO! But it didn't come back. I tried to undo, but it didn't work, so I'll start over and try to recreate the magic. The irony is, I usually save mulitple times as I'm writing, but today I was in such a zone that I didn't. I think it automatically saves for me--because I saw the save button blink right after the changes were made so I couldn't even bank on the possibility of a Hail Mary back-up. Here we go, round two: (***hits Save button***)

Today started off perfectly normally. Well, except that I got all the way down Irving Park to Woodfire (remember that place?? It had the world's best mashed potatoes!!) and realized I'd forgotten my boots at home. Luckily I'm in the habit of getting to school very early, so heading back home for my boots (and earrings and lunch) that I'd forgotten was no big deal. We had a meeting that ended early---score! I had a funny conversation with a co-worker------always awesome and then the kids came. What happened next was fun with a capital F! I saw a gorgeous hand-made Christmas-y floral arrangement and pumpkin bread that were all for me! I can't help but wonder what I've done to deserve such gracious and thoughtful gifts being showered on me lately. Later in the day I found out that the pumpkin bread/floral arrangement were all my student's idea and nearly all created by her. (there's some serious talent running through her!!) I know that I sound like a broken record when I go on and on in this blog about how deeply thankful and humbled I am, but I wouldn't say these things if I didn't mean them. I can only hope that I am putting out  at least as much of the good karma that I have been on the receiving end of.

Funny little story to end on:
Overheard in the room today: "Never, ever, ever, ever give up." "Not giving up!" "Never give up!" (this was a conversation between 3 different kids) It's hard not to be proud when the kids are doing a pretty difficult project and rather than complain or ask for help--this is what they say. I have a poster in the room that says 'Never never never ever give up'-----and rarely do I do things for them, I'm forever saying "fix it," "find it," "solve it," etc, maybe it's all starting to wear off on them. Dare I dream!!!

Lastly--check out this little bugger:




See, he's in the candy basket. This would be no big deal, except some of the kids earned the chance to pick out of there today. They couldn't, of course,  because no one wanted to run the risk of him being touched and MJ disappearing. Hopefully he'll have had his share today and move on!!


No comments:

Post a Comment