Tuesday, December 18, 2012

Tuesday, 12/18/12



This morning, despite it being only for a split second, we officially had our FIRST SNOW!!! The kids noticed immediately, so of course I had to stop everything for one of my favorite traditions. The kids all gathered by the window and we took a minute to imagine we were in a snow globe. How darling is the picture below???


Imagining we are in snow globe while watching the first snow of the season!!!
 On an academic note: The kids are officially masters at regrouping in addition. We finished the chapter today and will take the test tomorrow. That's pretty exciting stuff in my opinion--one of the first "grown-up" math lessons the kids learn in second-grade. Interestingly, at this point the conversation turns to, "The math facts need to be memorized. You know the hard part--the regrouping, you got this problem wrong because of the addition!!" It kind of kills me. The kids quickly pick up the new, the abstract concept, but then get hung up on the math facts that they were supposed to have had memorized last year. One of these days I'll unlock the trick for kids to quickly memorize math facts and then I'll market it and make my millions. One of these days....

On that note (LOL!), have a good night!

No comments:

Post a Comment