Tuesday, May 27, 2014

Friday, 5/23/14

Today was a big, big day for me. Throughout the year I run "small" assemblies for our students to celebrate the Character Counts pillars that they are learning about and demonstrating. Typically we say The Pledge of Allegiance together, some kids come to the microphone and read writing they've done about the month's pillar and then we all shake our groove thangs to a song called "The Character Counts Shuffle." However, at the end of the year, I present a much larger assembly to the students body to celebrate all of their great work in developing their character and being such a great kids. Each year I find a theme for the assembly, find a book that I can share with them that will support it (I display it through a PowerPoint) and the grand finale of the slide show is pictures of all of the Benson students (taken in little groupings) that I've put to music and show on the gigantic screen we have in the gym. In between those two things I do some story telling and some "wisdom imparting"  as  best I can. It's a lot of planning, and I'm always nervous I'm going to forgot something, but by the end, I'm incredibly pleased. If nothing else, the kids get a kick out of seeing their pictures on the big screen, and I get a kick out of seeing how happy they are. If there's a little gleaning of a lesson in there somewhere; that's the best bonus I could ever dream of! Today's didn't go exactly as I had planned, but after I'd cleaned up and was making my way back to the classroom, two second graders told me 'Good job.' That made it all worth it!!!!!!!!!

Happy Memorial Day to all! Thanks to those who have served and/or are serving and their families for their sacrifice! Sometimes we take it for granted, but we truly do have the privilege of living in the greatest country on Earth!!

No comments:

Post a Comment