Tuesday, August 27, 2013

Tuesday, 8/27/13

Happy Tuesday! I can't even believe we've not had an entire week of 2nd grade yet. It's amazing how quickly life settles back in, and summer becomes a distant memory. Well, the lazy, get-things-done days of summer---certainly not the heat of summer. That seems to just now be kicking in!! I took the kids out for recess at the end of the day yesterday after not having been out all day. Holy smokes! I didn't realize what it was like out. I felt like a wall hit me as I stepped outside. Craziness!! And in the blink of an eye we'll be complaining about how cold and icy it is, so I suppose we should enjoy short sleeves and layer-less days while we can. ;)

This week has been full of learning new routines, remembering how to act in school and figuring out a whole new classroom system. I have to compliment the kids. They've rolled with the punches very well. I try my hardest to put myself in their shoes and give them many reminders. It's not easy in the beginning, but I know that there will come a day when I stop and realize that all of the pieces have fallen into place and we're clicking right along in here.

This week we've begun to dig into the curriculum. We started our first math chapter on addition. I am fortunate enough to have a Smartboard in my room. When it works, it is the greatest blessing since the invention of the wheel, but when it's not, life becomes slightly more complicated----and it hasn't been working well so far. The main problem, besides just not having the overall coolness of the SB is that it blocks the majority of my white board. Normally this is not an issue, as I just use the SB as my "white board" but alas, when it's capoot, some major on-the-job problem solving has to happen. Good thing I'm quick on my feet. Lol!!  Fortunately, today durning math it was cooperating!! The series we use has a fantastic online component which gives a great introduction to each lesson. The kids are so engaged becuase they're watching something on a screen!! Aaahhh, technology! I couldn't love it more (except when it doesn't work!!)

We also started exploring our first story in our reading textbook. It's Eric Carle's The Mixed Up Chameleon. It's a fun story to read and has a great message of finding happiness within oneself, so I love it.

I'm off to a birthday week dinner---have you tried 8000 Miles in Roselle yet? It's soooo good. Asian infusion--a little bit of something for everyone. If you like Maki or Sushi, there are choices there that will blow your mind. More of a Chinese food lover? There are some creative dishes that you'll like, I promise. You'd think I know the people, right? Nope--just a supporter of local business (at the same time, I wouldn't tell you to go there if it wasn't good-so take my word for it!). Google it and check out the menu. Yum!!

No comments:

Post a Comment