Friday, August 30, 2013

Friday, 8/30/13 **My birthday!!**

Today has been UH-MAY-ZING!!!!!!!!!!! It started out with a Skype phone call to my parents in Ohio. When we connected, all I could see was something with a candle in it. My parents sang "Happy Birthday" and told me to blow out the candle. In Illinois I blew air, and in Ohio, the candle went out. Turns out, the candle was in a tomato--and that little story right there, pretty much encompasses the person I am. This apple did not fall far from her trees. My parents are hilarious, creative and great problem solvers; all qualities which I have been blessed to shamelessly grab from them.

Then I came to school and was greeted by a decorated classroom (I have amazing friends) and birthday hugs and gifts from the kiddies. Have I mentioned how blessed I am? We've been in school for just over a week and these beautiful children felt it important to celebrate with me. Later when I picked them up from music class, the Mrs. Sharkie played "Happy Birthday" on the piano and the kids rocked their air guitars while singing to me. Doesn't get much better than that!!! Knowing it was going to become blazingly hot today, I took the kids outside mid-morning to give them my birthday "treat." We can't have food treats anymore so I brought the kids little containers of bubbles. I kept snapping my camera in hopes of getting some super cute shots. I have to use my home camera for the moment, and of course that's exactly where my patch cord is, so I'll work on posting some of the cute pics over the weekend. And last, but far from least, on this uber exciting day----an innocent round of 20 questions led to....drumroll please....the reveal of our science unit on W.O.R.M.S!!! Yup--worms!!! The worms are a means to an end of teaching the children about soil, plants and the scientific process, but when a 2nd grade teacher has worms, and it's a Friday afternoon, and it's her birthday---well, the kids need to spend some up-close-and-personal time with them! As it is always---at first some of the kids eek out at the thought of worms, but then I explain how I loved finding worms after it rained when I was little (kind of still do...) and watching how interesting they are, and then they came around to excitement. Soon enough, each had a worm on his/her desk and you could feel the love!!! Again--I have super-cute pictures and again, I'll need my patch cord. I have to beg your forgiveness. I feel that, no matter how many times I read and reread this post, there are going to be grammatical errors. This is not the first, nor will it be the last time my posts need fully-rested eyes to edit them, and unfortuanately, that simply isn't tody. =) Enjoy the long weekend!! And thanks to all who contibuted to making this birthday such a special one!! XOXO

No comments:

Post a Comment